[sac-board] Re: Pierre's estate

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jenn Keller - Hm" <JTPest@xxxxxxx>,"Sam Herchak" <76627.3322@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"gene_lucas" <gene.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Silvio Jaconelli" <silvioj@xxxxxxx>,"Peggy Kain" <pegsi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"SAC Board" <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:39:58 -0700

SAC Board:

I have gone over this several times with many people but will do it once again
since Sam still does not have all the facts. There is no controversy in SAC,
only with him. Jennifer is correct, Sam is not and does not remember correctly.
His understanding that these are club properties is correct, however.

Again: Fabienne called me at the time mentioned and asked me to bring my truck
over to Pierre's house because she wished to donate certain items to the Club.
When I arrived with my truck she commenced to load it full of equipment with
the help of her husband and Corrine's husband. Pierre's father was also there.
The equipment consisted of two 16" blue finished telescope tubes, a binocular
chair, a small wood tube and mount which did not go together, two 14" mirror
blanks, and 3 boxes of misc. telescope parts. On my way out I noticed the
cardboard tubes at the street with the 'free' sign on them. I came back later
for those. I took photographs of all this equipment and showed the slides at a
Club Meeting, explaining the same things as in this letter.

The binocular chair which I volunteered at a club meeting to refurbish but
didn't, was taken to an ATM meeting at Thad's shop, where it was suggested we
dismantle it and make into two telescopes. This was decided against in favor of
removing it to Stone Haven for Steve Dodder to refurbish to be used as a club
telescope at Club and Public star parties. Everything else is still with me,
except some telescope parts that were used as door prizes at the 2001 Xmas
party. Upon examination of the mirror 'blanks', I found that they are not
blanks, and are polished and have focal lengths noted on them. This would make
them worth over $1000 apiece. I noted this at that meeting, which Sam may have
attended. They are not the blanks Sam is talking about. Pierre had several
14.5" mirrors in existence at the time. Two others I know of: one went to A.J.
and it's twin was sold to someone else in an OTA. Those are prob the ones Sam's
thinking of.

As it stands now, these items are not part of any fund but are Club assets and
will not be sold. I would suggest the Board get together and decide the final
fate of this stuff. I am the caretaker for the present, but if the Board
decides to sell it, find another storage volunteer, or rent a storage room for
this and other stuff, it will be fine with me. I would like some appreciation
for storing it at my house all this time.

This happened long before the setting up of any scholarship fund and is
entirely independent of that. Likewise, Fabienne's donation at the club meeting
is independent of any of this and it is a shame if the scholarship fund is
still not set up and the $5,000 not in it. Probably as much my fault as
anybody's.

Jack Jones
Spicastar@xxxxxxx
602-944-5488

Hello Sam:

Just for the record:  I have nothing from Pierre's estate, never had.  I don't
know about mirror blanks?? I don't recall even being at Pierre's house the same
time as you.   I know a bunch of the tubes were left out in his yard with a
"Free" sign and Jack grabbed them a day before it rained. The Bino chair as I
understand is being refurbished at Stone Haven for use by SAC.  I am sorry, but
honestly I do not have, nor ever had any thing you speak of here.

Also I'm not aware of any "controversy".  (Nor do I wish to be!)  I'd
appreciate you taking me out of the loop on any future discussion of Pierre's
stuff as I have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Please understand that I only wanted to care for him while he was ill and wish
to continue visits to his grave site from time to time now.  That is all.

Thanks Sam.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Keller

P.S. Jack's email address is now spicastar@xxxxxxx