[sac-board] Re: Newsletter mailing costs

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 10:32:25 -0700

Thanks, Steve.

I don't mind mailing them out, but the cost is going to be significant.

Even if we just do black and white printing (thus making each page about 3
cents instead of 10), our costs per subscriber will run at least $20 per
year ($320 or so net).

Most clubs that do newsletters charge a rider for printed copies. I know the
club in KC charged $24 a year for a printed version of the NL, and when they
did, the requests for printed copies dropped 94% and savings amounted to
$3,000 a year. Everyone opted to go the PDF version and were okay with it.

If the board wants to foot the bill, that's fine. If they want to amend the
dues for 2012 to have a NL rider, fine. Meanwhile, I'll mail out the one we
just issued and bill the club for my toner and postage.

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona
Brilliant Sky Observatory