[sac-board] Re: May meeting minutes - policy

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:11:31 -0700

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:36:05 -0700, Joe Macke wrote:

> 7. Jack Jones reported that we can get the Honeywell rate at Kinko's for the
> newsletter and asked if the club would fund an additional $10 per month to
> have the newsletter folded and stapled by Kinko's.  There was a motion to do
> so; it was seconded.  The motion passed.

Point of order: This should not have been brought up at the meeting and
Thad should have tabled it.  Once a motion is made at a meeting and
seconded, the group needs to vote on it or have it tabled.

This item did not need a decision by the club's membership and should have
been placed before the board.  Because it was done before the general
membership, the vote actually FAILED because Thad artificially limited the
vote to board members.

Jack needs to bring this up again either before board members in person or
as a new message thread here.

So the above should read:

7. Jack Jones reported that we can get the Honeywell rate at Kinkos for the
newsletter and asked if the club would fund an additional $10 per month to
have the newsletter folded and stapled by Kinkos.  There was a motion to do
so; it was seconded.  The motion failed due to improper voting procedure.
This vote will be addressed again by the club's board members.

This also leads to minutes of board decisions made independently of the
board meetings.  Unless, these actions are recorded, they are not "board
actions".  So any time three board members make a decision for the club,
these should be forward to the club's secretary for recording (if he's not
present).  Even the final results of these message threads should be
eventually included.

Some decisions don't need recording (e.g. whether to announce something
this month or next), but all decisions for spending money should be
recorded.

        -Paul