[sac-board] Re: Letter to Phoenix Union High School District...

  • From: "SkyWatcher" <skywatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 10:21:40 -0700

Good Morning,

This is Tony LaConte...I do many stargazing and planetarium programs for
school throughout all of Arizona.

This outreach effort is a great idea....but as Rick pointed out there are
some issues that need to be thought out.

I have a State issued fingerprint card as I work with many students.

There are issues about one-on-one contact with children that need to be
looked at.

When we do stargazing or planetarium programs there are always other adults
with the us and the students.....we are NEVER one-on-one with the
students!!!

The Grand Canyon Boy Scout Council offers Youth Protection training
online......I am a certified Astronomy Merit Badge Counselor.

https://myscouting.scouting.org/_layouts/MyScouting/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
_layouts%2fAuthenticate.aspx%3fSource%3d%252f&Source=%2f

This training (about 35 minutes) is a good starting point for your group to
think about.

You do not need to be in scouting to create an account and do the training.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with this outreach effort.

Thank you,

Tony La Conte
Professional Stargazer
JPL/NASA Solar System Ambassador

Tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FOLLOW US on Twitter@NightSkyShow

LIKE US on Facebook: - Professional Stargazing Events

(623) 979 - 1393

Stargazing for Everyone, LLC
We Bring the Universe to You!
Performing more than 300 programs to more than 75,000 people every year.

Visit our Stargazing Website:

http://www.StargazingForEveryone.com

Visit our Planetarium Website:

http://www.NightSkyShow.com