[sac-board] Re: Letter to Phoenix Union High School District...

  • From: "Rotramel, Rick (AZ77)" <rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:09:06 +0000

Board,
I am very concerned about the liability factor involved with high school aged
students attending our star parties way out in the desert. Please consider all
the risks associated with the club. I don’t mean to rain on your parade, but
all this stuff should be thought about very seriously.

Like, how are these students going to travel out to the desert. Will they be
alone or accompanied by an adult? This also brings up stuff like "possible"
accusations if something were to go very wrong at one of these outings.

Please consider all the possibilities of what we are getting into here.

Also, about inviting entire school districts to our monthly meetings. What will
we do if suddenly 459 or so show up for a meeting?

Thanks for listening.

Rick R.
SAC

Additionally, we try to get out TO observing OBSERVE with our telescopes twice
a month--on weekends near the new Moon and the 3rd quarter Moon which sets
early.  (The Moon makes the sky very bright and difficult to observe objects
such as galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae.)  We are currently driving 60-100
miles away from the city to get some distance away from light pollution.
STUDENTS ARE WELCOME TO GO TO THESE STAR PARTIES WHETHER THEY HAVE A TELESCOPE
OR NOT AS OUR MEMBERS WILL GLADLY SHARE THEIR INSTRUMENTS WITH STUDENTS.

One of our members chairs a novice group with an invitation to his observatory
in Maricopa for help on operating a telescope, how to locate objects, etc.
Also, schools,  scouting programs, etc.  can request our astronomers  to bring
telescopes to an event; and we've hosted Thunderbird Park's annual star party
for more than 25 years.

Jennifer Polakis, VP