[sac-board] Letter to Phoenix Union High School District...

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 21:29:23 -0700

...to offer students free membership to SAC.
Hi Everyone,

The letter copied below is my first effort at this project.
Please peruse and offer up constructive criticism.
I’ll send this by E-mail followed by U.S. Post in a week.
Then I will send similar letters to the other high school districts in the west
valley.
I’ll suggest to EVAC that they consider a similar offer to the high school
districts in the east valley.
````````````````````

April 11, 2013

Phoenix Union High School District

4502 N. Central Ave.

Phoenix, AZ 85012

Attention:  Dr. Kent P. Scribner, Superintendent

Via E-mail: Isela Rivas-Reyes, Assistant to the Superintendent

                  rivas-reyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reference: Free Membership to Saguaro Astronomy Club for High School Students

Dear Dr. Scribner,

On behalf of Saguaro Astronomy Club, I would like to offer a free membership to
our astronomy club for high school students.

Please refer to our website:  www.saguaroastronomy.org .  Our club originated
in 1977.  We hold monthly meetings with an invited lecturer on a range of
topics including:  the status of extra solar planet search, the composition of
stars, astrophotography, citizen science programs in astronomy, updates on
space missions like The Lunar Recognizance Orbiter Camera, historical
astronomy, astronomy in other countries, etc.  All lectures are done by
professional astronomers from Arizona's observatories and universities  or
highly skilled amateur astronomers. Our monthly lecture meeting is held at
Grand Canyon University at 35th Avenue and Camelback on Fridays closest to the
full Moon at 7:30 p.m.  A schedule and map is available on our website.
Membership includes an E-mail of our monthly newsletter.

Additionally, we try to get out observing with our telescopes twice a month--on
weekends near the new Moon and the 3rd quarter Moon which sets early.  (The
Moon makes the sky very bright and difficult to observe objects such as
galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae.)  We are currently driving 60-100 miles
away from the city to get some distance away from light pollution.

One of our members chairs a novice group with an invitation to his observatory
in Maricopa for help on operating a telescope, how to locate objects, etc.
Also, schools,  scouting programs, etc.  can request our astronomers  to bring
telescopes to an event; and we've hosted Thunderbird Park's annual star party
for more than 25 years.

Teachers, parents, and students can contact me directly via E-mail or phone, or
can refer to the list of contacts on our web site.

Please advise if it would be more effective for me to contact each of the high
schools in your district individually.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this letter; I know you must be
an extremely busy person.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Polakis, VP

E-mail: M24@xxxxxxx, telephone: 480 967-1658