[sac-board] Re: Fw: a compassionate call from iraq

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:39:55 -0700

> E-mail addresses within the mail server itself, should be reasonably
secure.
> Some of the new SPAM bots go to great lengths to harvest published e-mail
> addresses from web pages, text files, and .PDF files, no matter how smart
or
> clever you've tried to disguise them. i.e. javascript.

 Does anyone know if this is because the bots are actually opening the page,
and then opening the email links, and then harvesting the addy?  If that's
not the case, then I'm wondering if there's not more that can be done...for
example, if the bots are only reading the HTML, then the Javascript should
be enough.  If they've gotten to the point that they can read and run the
script to get the addy, then maybe it's time to do something more along
their lines....(Iv'e seen them do this to keep the spam filters from
catching them.)  Would using the HTML equivalent for some letters work?
Just a thought......

Thad