[sac-board] Re: [FWD: IYA at the Arizona Science Center]

  • From: Steve D. <fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Board <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:05:47 -0700

Chris and I are meeting this afternoon about this and the GCSPNR, among other
things.  Will let you know.Steve DodderChairman, SAC Novice GroupCoordinator,
Grand Canyon Star Party, North RimDirector, Stone Haven Observatory
fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman> From:
president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [sac-board]
[FWD: IYA at the Arizona Science Center]> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:42:32
-0700> > Team, this arrived in my SAC email today. Steve and Chris, any luck
ge=> tting volunteers lined up yet? (Count me as one.) To all the board, any
ide=> as on displays, etc?> Richard Harshaw> President, Saguaro Astronomy Club>
Owner, Brilliant Sky Observatory (Cave Creek, AZ)>
www.lodestarconsultinginc.com[1]> > -------- Original Message -------->
Subject: IYA at the Arizona Science Center> From: <mikeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Date:
Tue, January 20, 2009 11:57 am> To: <wendy.l.taylor@xxxxxxx>,
<marsmom@xxxxxxx>, <rgpeterson= @cox.net>,> <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<kevin@xxxxxxxxxx>> Cc: <mikeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ricalling@xxxxxxxxx>,>
<goldsteinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > IYA at the Arizona Science Center> > > > Hello
all! > > = Our February celebrati= on of the International Year of Astronomy is
fast> approaching. Februa= ryâ??s topic is Pluto and Kevin Schindler of the>
Lowell Observatory h= as agreed to be our featured speaker. I am sending> this
email to spar= k a conversation about the success of Januaryâ??s> event and the
items= in which we need to address. I am also hoping to> gatherideas for Fe=
bruary and beyond. It is my hope that each celebration> builds on the =
successes of the previous month and is better than the> previous event. > > One
of the items that I discussed with EVAC is using the IMAX queuin= g area> to
place telescopes and other displays. As it stands now, that= space is>
notutilized and is perfect for larger displays, such as telescop= es. If>
anyone has a large display that they would like to place in t= hat space,> feel
free to let me know and I will get in there. Any othe= r ideas about> displays,
demonstrations, activities, etc, would be very help= ful and> welcome. > > In
January, over 1,100 people walked past our displays! The excitement in>
peopleâ??= s eyes, especially the kids, was amazing. = On more than> one
occasion, I was told by patrons that they would be back fo= r future>
celebrations. We had a little hiccup with the night telescope viewing. >
However, = that issue is being addressed and will be resolved by the 7= th. > >
> With regards to the schedule= , Randy from EVAC pointed out that the email I>
sent out that had all the da= tes was slightly incorrect. The original>
emailhad the February event listed as the 5th. However, it is actually on>
Saturday, February 7th. All IYA Astronomy Day Celebrations are on Saturday.> I
apologize for any confusion. The correct, and checked (twice), schedul= e> is
below. > > = I am very excited about this coming year!&n= bsp; Working
together, we can> bring the wonders of astronomy to the people = of the Valley
in a way in> which we can not alone. I look forward to t= he fun we will have
this year> and, hopefully, beyond! > > Mike > > February 7= th What is a
Planet/Pluto?> March 14th &nbsp= ; &nbs= p; Mars, Part I April 11= th > The
Hubble Space Telescope> May 2nd &n= bsp; 2009 Astronomy Day June 13th = >
Archeo-Astronomy> July 18th &nbs= p; Moon Exploration> August 15th Mars, Part
II> September 12th Jupiter and Saturn> Octobe= r 10= th&= nbsp; &nbsp= ; Black
Holes a= nd other strange> things> November 14th = Exoplanets> December 5= th
&nbsp= ; The History of the Universe from the Big> Bang to toda= y > > > > Mike
George > Director of Theaters Experience> = PHONE: 602-716-2079 | FAX:
602-716-2099> mikeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[2]> > P Before printing this e-mail think if
it is necessary= . Think Green! > > > > > >   > > --- Links ---> 1
3D"http://www.lodestarconsultinginc.com";> 2 3D"mailto:pdesbergc@azsc=>
Windows Live? Hotmail®?more than just e-mail.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009