[sac-board] FW: Phoenix Street Lights

  • From: Steve D. <fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Board <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:08:24 -0700

I got this from Gene Fioretti, the coordinator for the Kaibab Lodge NRim event
and major player with the IDA for the Phoenix area. Time constraints prohibit
me from doing more on this, but hopefully someone here will be able to help in
this worthy cause.
Thanks.
Steve Dodder
Chairman, SAC Novice Group
Coordinator, Grand Canyon Star Party, North Rim
Director, Stone Haven Observatory

fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.stonehavenobservatory.com

From: gpfioretti@xxxxxxx
To: fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Phoenix Street Lights
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 13:41:33 -0600

Hi Steve,
Hope all is well with you and Rosie.
I thought I would ask you to get the message out to the Saguaro members about
the situation with the street light replacement program being planned for the
City of Phoenix. They want to use the 4000K LED streetlights. The IDA now
recommends less than or equal to 3000K LEDs to significantly decrease the blue
spectrum output with it's negative environmental effects. If they use the
hotter burning LEDs for all 90,000+ fixtures, it will approximately double the
light glow from Phoenix. The program is on a temporary hold for other reasons,
but ready to be restarted very soon. If we get the message to them now we do
stand a chance of getting their cooperation. It is all about money for them.
Please ask the membership to contact their city council members and let them
know they want the city to comply with current IDA recommendations concerning
street light replacements.
Thanks for doing this.
Gene