[sac-board] Re: FW: Donation

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 0:31:18 -0400

When Steve was talking to Jenn and me about the gift and its value, I pointed
him toward Silvio Jaconelli, a finance whiz and former Treasurer and President
for EVAC.  I can recall two things clearly:  the term that he used was "gift
tax exclusion" and the amount was $11,000.  He said that the IRS will not tax
the recipient for receiving a gift if it's less than this amount.

Looks like this is mentioned at various sites on the Web, such as:

http://www.lawwalk.com/annual_gift_tax_exclusion.htm

I don't think any of what Silvio mentioned had to do with tax advantages for
the donor.  But I'd better stop now, as that's the extent of what I heard.

Tom