[sac-board] Re: Club newsletter

  • From: Paul Dickson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:11:46 -0700

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:16:12 -0700, SAC Webmaster wrote:

> I have a general question regarding the mailed copies of SACnews. Do
> members who elect to receive a mailed copy pay any portion of its
> cost? Let's have a look at the numbers:
> We produce 12 issues per year. Each mailed copy contains 12 pages,
> duplex printed, using 6 sheets of paper. There is one staple in the
> upper left corner. The newsletter is folded and sealed. Let's say
> the cost is $1 per issue. Add postage and the cost is $1.41. Twelve
> issues equals an annual cost of $16.92. Annual dues are $28. You can
> see that more than half of the dues go to the printed
> newsletter. This illustrates how much the other members subsidize
> this activity.
> Has anyone ever done an analysis on how the dues are spent? I know
> that there are lots of expenses in operating a club (room rental,
> insurance, PO Box, properties, etc.). Can the club remain solvent
> with operating costs of ~$14 per member annually?
> Just food for thought.

A decade ago, the newsletter was 2/3 the club's yearly budget.  At
$17, this is slightly better.

The dues currently includes the newsletter.  Club members just elect
(by default) to download the PDF to allow the club to do other things
with the funds (like speakers and observing events).  It was done this
way so members that can't download the newsletters are not treated
like second class members.