[sac-board] Club newsletter

  • From: "SAC Webmaster" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Board" <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:16:12 -0700

I have a general question regarding the mailed copies of SACnews. Do members
who elect to receive a mailed copy pay any portion of its cost? Let's have a
look at the numbers:
We produce 12 issues per year. Each mailed copy contains 12 pages, duplex
printed, using 6 sheets of paper. There is one staple in the upper left corner.
The newsletter is folded and sealed. Let's say the cost is $1 per issue. Add
postage and the cost is $1.41. Twelve issues equals an annual cost of $16.92.
Annual dues are $28. You can see that more than half of the dues go to the
printed newsletter. This illustrates how much the other members subsidize this
activity.
Has anyone ever done an analysis on how the dues are spent? I know that there
are lots of expenses in operating a club (room rental, insurance, PO Box,
properties, etc.). Can the club remain solvent with operating costs of ~$14 per
member annually?

Just food for thought.

Peter