[sac-board] Re: Cherry Rd & NASP

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:53:43 EDT

All,
Somehow I knew this was going to be a Credance Clearwater Situation (Bad
things arisin'). I think we need to make contact with Rancher dude and make
sure
he knows we had nothing to do with the events this weekend. Also we should find
a way to contact him (phone) just in case something like this happens in the
future. We can be proactive and let him know it ain't us.

As much as I like to get along with other clubs (and I think the astro
community in AZ is pretty tight) I have to say PAC sure seemed hell bent on
stepping
on toes here. There disregard for common courtesy and etiquette seems
puzzling at best, downright rude at worst. I can say with reasonable certainty
probably will not attend any of their functions in the future.

Rick

In a message dated 5/31/2003 11:13:34 US Mountain Standard Time,
starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hey All,
>
> Yes, here's the jist of that situation...We drove by Cherry Rd to see how
> crowded NASP was going to be so Chuck and I would have a possible
> alternative to MMSS.  First thing we noted was the gate was wedged wide
> open.  We pulled over to mention this to who I assume was Gary Frey.  He was
> pretty insistant that he had the situation under control and that the gate
> would be OK left open.  We mentioned the incident in which Jack Jones was
> "lectured by men in cowboy hats" to which Gary replied,  "I've got a cowboy
> hat too, I'll put it on and discuss it if the rancher comes by."  or
> something similar to that.  He was insistent that it was BLM land, and it
> was a campsite, and that it was out of the rancher's hands, despite our
> protests that it was the rancher's cattle, even if it was BLM land.  Our
> parting statement was to the effect that we hoped that we wouldn't come up
> next month to find a padlock on the gate.  I felt that Chuck and I handled
> it politely, and while Gary wasn't hostile, he certainly wasn't cooperative
> what so ever, in fact, you might even call him indignant about the whole
> thing.
>
> My concern is this....we need to let PAC know that this was inappropriate
> given that Jennifer let Marilyn know that this was a specific issue with SAC
> and the rancher.  They KNEW that in advance, and yet it was unheeded.  What
> should our course of action be in this regard?  A terse letter to PAC?
> Contact the rancher directly?  Can we and the rancher agree to lock the gate
> and only us/him have the key?  Contact our congressperson?  Midnite raid on
> PAC headquarters?
>
> While there are other sites than Cherry up north, I really, really don't
> want to lose this one, and we need to make it clear that the gate has to
> stay closed at all times, no matter what event or which club is there.
>
> Thad

Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club