[sac-board] Re: Cherry Rd & NASP

  • From: DBogan3220@xxxxxxx
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:50:24 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/2003 1:39:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I thought this was a one time condition at one of their star parties years
> ago, but
> I guess not. Does anyone know the rational for this? Is it possibly a
> holdover from
> Gary Frey's observing experience in Michigan?
> Stan
>
> "Gene A. Lucas" wrote:
>
> >FYI, I have not attended any of the NASP affairs, mainly due to adverse
> >comments about various "restrictions" -- centering on apparently not
> >being able to "tailgate" and set up next to your vehicle, which is a
> >non-starter for me, period.

            SInce I'm a transplanted Michigan Astronomer I refer to the WEB
sites and Astro goings on in Michigan every now and then, and yes they still
seem to have everyone congregate in a specific area no tailgating at there
various astro events. Similar to what was done 50 years ago at many Star
Parties in
this country. Since then Telescopes have gotten larger and setup much more
complicated. This makes that type observing obsolete. If all I was going to
take
along was a four inch Refractor on a AltAz mount I don't see that as a
problem. It becomes a problem if I want to take my 10 inch AP Mak and AP900
goto and
have to cart it 300 ft or 300 yards and there is where I draw the line. Same
goes for my 14 inch Newt and Big Foot mount. uh uh no way. So I don't go or go
somewhere else where I can tail gate.

           Clear Skies
           Dwight L Bogan