[sac-board] Re: Cherry Rd & NASP

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Bored" <SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 11:12:47 -0700

Hey All,

Yes, here's the jist of that situation...We drove by Cherry Rd to see how
crowded NASP was going to be so Chuck and I would have a possible
alternative to MMSS.  First thing we noted was the gate was wedged wide
open.  We pulled over to mention this to who I assume was Gary Frey.  He was
pretty insistant that he had the situation under control and that the gate
would be OK left open.  We mentioned the incident in which Jack Jones was
"lectured by men in cowboy hats" to which Gary replied,  "I've got a cowboy
hat too, I'll put it on and discuss it if the rancher comes by."  or
something similar to that.  He was insistent that it was BLM land, and it
was a campsite, and that it was out of the rancher's hands, despite our
protests that it was the rancher's cattle, even if it was BLM land.  Our
parting statement was to the effect that we hoped that we wouldn't come up
next month to find a padlock on the gate.  I felt that Chuck and I handled
it politely, and while Gary wasn't hostile, he certainly wasn't cooperative
what so ever, in fact, you might even call him indignant about the whole
thing.

My concern is this....we need to let PAC know that this was inappropriate
given that Jennifer let Marilyn know that this was a specific issue with SAC
and the rancher.  They KNEW that in advance, and yet it was unheeded.  What
should our course of action be in this regard?  A terse letter to PAC?
Contact the rancher directly?  Can we and the rancher agree to lock the gate
and only us/him have the key?  Contact our congressperson?  Midnite raid on
PAC headquarters?

While there are other sites than Cherry up north, I really, really don't
want to lose this one, and we need to make it clear that the gate has to
stay closed at all times, no matter what event or which club is there.

Thad