[sac-board] Re: Blinker lights

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:44:36 -0700

Others have come up with some good suggestions.  As far as the
Thunderbird Park Star Party goes, that is NOT our concern, let Glendale
Parks Dept. come up with an answer -- I repeat, we are >guests< for that
event, and NOT responsible for safety  or lighting issues...  (We can
make constructive >suggestions< on the shuttle bus parking lights....)
Let's not get carried away on that, it's a public star party, NOT a
"dark sky" site.  We are not the "experts" on handling crowd control and
traffic movement in a public park situation.
For the Messier Marathon, I am open to various suggestions for marking
the driveway, if AJ feels they are needed.  As I have not participated
at Farnsworth Ranch for some years, I can't comment further on what
might be useful or needed.

As to the existing blinker lights... While they served well for some
years out at Buckeye Hills, I will need to review them and see if there
is any corrosion or other issues. I can report back on those.
Surprising to me that after all this time, that this would surface as an
issue, as nobody has mentioned using them for years.

I >believe< they take 6V lantern cells, will need to take a count as to
quantity.

The other suggestions on more modern options would likely be more viable
in terms of cost effectiveness... Replacement  lantern cells would
likely not last through a year, as they deteriorate rapidly when stored
(esp. in the heat of someone's garage...) -- unless perhaps the
batteries are refrigerated....

BTW, the newer blinker lights used in road construction nowadays are all
LEDs, even though the external package may look the same.  And those are
"your tax dollars at work"...  (One of my friend's "rich" relatives
owned the rental company that supplies barricades and signs.) :>))

Gene Lucas
(17250)