[sac-board] Re: Ad for Newsletter

  • From: "Tejera, Rick" <rtejera@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:56:49 -0400

Rick,
Since I've been editor, I've run ads from non sac member at no charge if I
feel the ad may be of Interest to the membership. My reasoning: if it is
something that may be of interest then it is a benefit to the membership to
offer it. Solicitations such as this raise red flags, and I don't run ads
like "Wanted old scoping stuff" etc since the main benefit
is to the advertiser, not the members. I sent this one to the board for
opinions more to confirm my suspicion that it is a questionable undertaking
at best and an outright scam at worst, and to alert other on this list.

As far as a business membership goes, I interpret that to be one where the
member would have a running ad or logo in the newsletter for the entire
year, similar to a yellow pages ad.

Since I reserve the right to refuse ads based on content or suitability, I
don't think offering ads to non members is really anything to worry about.
Once again If anything questionable comes I I'll seek opinions from the
board.

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews