[ryerson_index] A Reminder - Sue Reid's Zoom Session - 7 April 7.30pm

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 12:28:05 +1000

A final reminder about tomorrow night's Zoom session with Sue Reid.

Latecomers are welcome - just notify Pauline TODAY if you want to join in.

The link to join the zoom session is at the bottom of this email.

John

Recently, Sue Reid gave a Zoom presentation to the Botany Bay Family History Society entitled Australian newspapers and substitutes after the 1950s: What can we do when Trove runs out.

Unfortunately I didn't hear about the talk in time to attend, but the topic is so relevant to our work that I approached Sue to see if she would present it to Ryerson members. Sue agreed to do so, and we have scheduled the talk to take place via Zoom on Wednesday 7 April at 7.30pm. All Ryerson members are invited to attend. The link is at the end of this email.

If you don't know Sue, here is some background.

Sue was motivated to begin family history research as a teenager when a cousin gave her a copy of a diary written by an ancestor, Dr Robert Ross. Dr Ross was a missionary in Russia in the early nineteenth century and later came to New South Wales with his second wife and family.
Sue has researched and written on the life and times of her great, great grandfather, James Henry Mills. James Henry managed to get himself reported in the Sussex press with great regularity. A methodical search of the newspapers has not only shed light on the man, but increased her knowledge of using newspapers for family history research.
She has presented sessions at family history conferences and seminars including the three most recent Australasian Congresses on Genealogy and Heraldry, at the State Library of Queensland, the National Archives of Australia, and Sussex Family History Conference. She is the author of many articles on family history published in local and overseas journals and other publications.
As well as serving on the Committee of Queensland Family History Society, Sue also convenes the QFHS Family History Writing Group and is the Convenor of the QFHS Education Sub-Committee.
In recognition of her contributions to family history, Sue received the QFHS Award for Services to Family History in 2015 and was appointed a Fellow of the Queensland Family History Society in 2020.

The session will run for an hour, and there will be a handout provided by Sue. The session is aimed specifically at family history researchers, so won't concentrate solely on death records, but will provide many useful clues on how to research in the difficult "recent" period.

I am sure that we will all learn much from this talk, particularly in relation to our personal research, but also by picking up clues to how we can improve Ryerson to be even more useful in this period than we currently are. I highly recommend that all our members tune in.

Please RSVP to Pauline (secretary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) so Sue knows what size audience to expect. We will be running the session through the QFHS Zoom account, so we don't need to worry about zoom cutting out after 30 mins.

I will also run a very short optional zoom session at 7.30pm on Wednesday 31 March, so that those attending who may not be very familiar with Zoom can try connecting. Further details on that session closer to the time.

Here is the link to Sue's session (I'll send a reminder out closer to the time.)

Sue Reid is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Australian newspapers and substitutes after the 1950s: What can we do when Trove runs out
Time: Apr 7, 2021 07:30 PM Brisbane

Join Zoom Meeting
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83739362772?pwd=ZkZhWTd0d0dsUUM4OW52UU44Rmdkdz09>https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83739362772?pwd=ZkZhWTd0d0dsUUM4OW52UU44Rmdkdz09

Meeting ID: 837 3936 2772
Passcode: 708291
One tap mobile
+61861193900,,83739362772#,,,,*708291# Australia
+61871501149,,83739362772#,,,,*708291# Australia

Dial by your location
        +61 8 6119 3900 Australia
        +61 8 7150 1149 Australia
        +61 2 8015 6011 Australia