[ruxp] Windows 2000 Magazine: HOW DO I ENABLE AND DISABLE WINDOWS XP'S SYSTEM RESTORE FEATURE?

  • From: "Karl Dallas" <karldallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ruxp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ruxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:26:38 +0100

The latest issue of Windows 2000 magazine?s Security Alert newsletter
contains the following link to an FAQ:

HOW DO I ENABLE AND DISABLE WINDOWS XP'S SYSTEM RESTORE FEATURE?
   ( contributed by John Savill, http://www.windows2000faq.com )

   System Restore (i.e., restorept.api) is a new Windows XP feature
that's similar to Last Known Good Configuration. However, System Restore
maintains multiple restore points instead of one last-restore point. The
user can manually create restore points, or System Restore can keep
restore points during the following operations:
   - Installing new software, if the application uses a current
installer that is System-Restore compliant
   - Using AutoUpdate
   - During a restore operation
   - During a Microsoft backup or recovery operation
   - Installing an unsigned driver
   - Automatically following 24 hours of inactivity
   By default, System Restore monitors all partitions. So, for example,
if you delete an executable file, you can have the system state revert
to a specific restore point to recreate or repair the executable file.
When you revert to a restore point, however, you lose all changes since
that point, except for changes to files in the My Documents folder and
documents you've created with applications such as Microsoft Word and
Microsoft Excel.
   If you use System Restore and don't like the new system state, you
can undo the process and restore the machine to the system state it had
before you ran System Restore. Alternatively, you can run System Restore
to change the system state to a different restore point. To enable or
disable System Restore, follow the steps in our FAQ.
   http://www.windows2000faq.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=22059

To subscribe to Windows 2000 Security Alert send a blank email to
subscribe-Security_UPDATE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx