[rurallife] Re: New website

  • From: Chris Shepheard <chris.shepheard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rurallife@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:40:36 +0100

In message <A6556B02D44B47DBA435D6CA9ECE649B@OfficeDell>
          "Trish Hayes" <trishhayes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Like the idea of the photo background on the Home page.  Only comment would
> be if sharpening it to be stronger colour would look better, or does that
> detract from the text.

I originally had it with stronger colours and that certainly made the
text more difficult to read. Likewise I blurred the photograph
slightly to improve readability. I could blur it some more but I think
it would then soon become unrecognisable other than coloured splodges.

I would be grateful to see if everybody could test out the Google site
search facility for accuracy, please.

Currently the first couple of results will be advertisements for
outside websites. This is a factor of Google's free service but they
are supposed to allow "not for profit" sites to avoid them. The
problem is I haven't yet found out how I ask them for this facility!

I am quite happy to implement either or both (site search and
background) - one is not dependent on the other.

This is just an interim step to a new website. Unfortunately that
process is taking longer than I first hoped - we will get there but it
has to be 'right'.

Chris
--

Chris Shepheard writing as himself