[rurallife] More good news!

  • From: Rural Life Centre <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rurallife@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 12:10:02 +0000

Congratulations to Alexa on being successful with her grant application for
the conservation of the Henry Morton Stanley (of Livingstone fame) invalid
carriage which we acquired from Pirbright a couple of years ago.

The grant is from the Association of Independent Museums and is for £2316.
The vehicle will be going away for the necessary work to be undettaken
before the end of November.

Technically I think it is referred to as a Literary Carriage and was used to
wheel Stanley around his Pirbright garden in the later years of his life. I
think it was manually propelled (by the gardener?) which must have been hard
work. There is evidence the design might have been adapted from a pony drawn
version where weight wouldn't have been such a problem.

The standard of upholstery is very high and we think most of this can be
conserved as it is with very little repair or replacement.

Chris
--
Rural Life Centre           Old Kiln Museum Trust
Reeds Road, Tilford, Surrey, GU10 2DL

Chris Shepheard - list administrator