[rurallife] Re: Letting the light in!

  • From: Chris Shepheard <chris.shepheard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rurallife@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 20:33:48 GMT

In message <52BD9D25.4060206@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gyn <Gyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Tree surgery has been booked to deal with these trees but this will
>> obviously not happen during the Christmas break.
>>
>> I hope you have all weathered the storm OK with no damage and wish you
>> a peaceful Christmas.
>>
>> Chris
> Thankyou Chris, so sorry to hear about the trees but hope the storms
> will abate now. All fences down here, one I just had fixed 2 months ago
> and lots of crashing noises at night making it pretty daunting to look
> out of the window in the morning! Best wishes for the next weeks and
> wishing everyone a good and Happy New Year from Gwyneth. What a good
> thing the storms did not spoil Santa Specials!

Just to keep everyone updated...

Richard Hill-Venning has been in today and dealt with the hemlock.
Earlier in the year Paul Denning had looked at this tree as it seemed
to be in some distress after the dry weather.

When Richard cut it up he found that it had rot right from the roots
upwards. Some of the upper sections will be usable for timber but the
lower part is as rotten as a pear with no external signs!

The cypress is a different matter. On Monday or Tuesday Richard will
return with a climber and they will secure the top of the tree to the
oak it is leaning against. Then they will cut it off in sections
working up from the root plate and finally lower the top to the ground
using a crane.

They will then dismantle the tree adjacent to the furnace. This is in
imminent danger of falling if we get more storms and temporarily they
have stabilised it by tieing back with rope to another large tree
above Smudgers.

Richard has also dealt with all the fallen and hanging trees by the
woodyard.

There are a large numbers of fallen and damaged trees in the RSPB
reserve - some leaning and hanging. Mike will have a lot of work to do
too!

If anybody goes in to watch the dismantling please ensure you keep
well clear of the work being done for your own safety and also not to
interfere with the operation. However if you do go please take some
photographs (possibly for the newsletter the deadline of which is
looming!) Unfortunately I will be away until late on Tuesday so can't
take nay myself.

I hope you all had a good Christmas and managed to keep dry feet in
the floods (Tilford was almost cut-off at one point) and didn't suffer
too much wind damage.

Chris

--

Chris Shepheard writing as himself