[rurallife] Letting the light in!

  • From: Chris Shepheard <chris.shepheard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rurallife@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:47:24 +0000

Dear all,

Inevitably the museum suffered in the storm yesterday.

As you will see from the attached photograph, we lost a Western Hemlock and a Lawson Cypress. As a result the back drive is completely blocked.

Miraculously though minimal damage has been done. The cypress was "caught" by an oak tree which prevented it from crashing onto Smudgers and the hemlock just brushed the paint on Ruby and John's caravan.

However there are many other trees around the site which are leaning or hung up and I would advise anybody visiting the museum site over Christmas to use extreme caution at all times. One tree which is causing particular concern is the conifer next to the Wealden iron furnace. The ground around this shows lots of cracking where the tree has been rocking in the wind. Hopefully it will survive Friday's predicted storm and not fall on the furnace building.

Tree surgery has been booked to deal with these trees but this will obviously not happen during the Christmas break.

I hope you have all weathered the storm OK with no damage and wish you a peaceful Christmas.

Chris
--
Chris Shepheard
writing from the Plusnet webmail interface