Re: "iso" target for rumprun (was: Re: file system access on cloud instances)

  • From: Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 07:55:28 +1000

Ok, creating a self-contained iso now works.

Did you have it in mind to boot iso files directly on cloud providers including
EC2?

I spent several hours yesterday digging to try to find a way to boot an ISO on
EC2. As far as I can tell it isn’t possible. I understand it’s possible to
mount a cdrom to a Xen guest but there’s no way to mount a cdrom in EC2.
There’s also no concept of “iso formatted ebs” so there’s no way to make an
instance boot from ISO.

iso files can only be mounted from an ebs volume on a running instance, which
is of course post boot so no solution there.

I believe that other cloud providers like those based on OpenStack might be
able to do it but I did only cursory research in that direction.

Happy to be proven wrong but I dug pretty deep.

as