enable http_ssl_module by default in nginx?

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Lucina <mato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:22:38 +0000

Hi,

Brian updated the web server tutorial (*) to include instructions on setting up a https server. For https, you need to compile nginx with "--with-http_ssl_module", and that is not enabled by default in rumprun-packages. Is there any reason to not turn it on by default? The resulting binary will be a bit larger (+), but then again I think we should ship with crypto by default.

*) wiki.rumpkernel.org/Tutorial%3A-Serve-a-static-website-as-a-Unikernel
+) openssl libcrypto is megabyte-big. Yesterday I checked that libressl seems to "just work" on rumprun. libressl is only marginally smaller than openssl, though. I guess ssl is another case of "(small,complete), choose one"

- antti