Re: Using rump kernel to provide drivers?

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:28:43 +0000

On 30/07/15 06:34, Takumi Shimada wrote:

Thank you for your kind replies.

I used TWR-LS1021A board, but it is not supported by NetBSD.
Therefore I plan to use CubieBoard2.
I also plan to use Raspberry Pi.

NetBSD supporting or not supporting the board does not ultimately matter. What will cut your work time is if NetBSD supports what that the board has eaten. Of course, that answer is clear for boards which NetBSD does support, but no board support does not automatically mean "no" (not even close). So, not using the hardware you want to use because NetBSD does not support that particular board is a misguided decision.

Assuming you haven't done NetBSD work before, one option for ramping up your general knowledge would be to first port NetBSD to your board. Like I said, the bits and pieces won't be directly usable, but the process of porting NetBSD is well-understood and documented. It's probably easier than going directly for rump kernel support, where the process is currently not well understood or documented, i.e. you have to invent the process too. Assuming the devices are supported, porting NetBSD to an ARM board is really quite quick. IIRC it took roughly a week to get the Viper running even though I had a full-time non-NetBSD job back then, and also IIRC a good bit of that time was spent hunting a latent bug in an existing network driver (a lot of IIRCs since it was >10 years ago. time flies).