Re: Using rump kernel to provide drivers?

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:39:56 +0000

On 24/07/15 14:58, Tony Zhang wrote:

Hi all,

I am quite new to this project and I have downloaded and looked around in the
repo for some time. We are interested in using parts of rump kernels in our
research OS. Specifially, we'd like to add more drivers to our OS, and running
NetBSD drivers inside rumpkernels seems like a really good way to do this. From
my limited understanding, this requires that I implement some hypercalls used by
said drivers. I think I am on the right track but there seems to be more to it
so I would appreciate your thought on this. Is it viable?

Well, you obviously need to interface with the drivers somehow from your OS. Unlike POSIX'y syscalls, there's really no standardized interfaces for interfacing "into" the kernel. Check out section 3.6 of book.rumpkernel.org (1st edition) for some clues. Interfacing through syscalls might work too, but it's not possible to list the tradeoffs without knowing more about your case. See also http://wiki.rumpkernel.org/Platforms#integrating