Re: Using rump kernel to provide drivers?

  • From: Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yifan.zhang@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 16:04:01 +0100

On 24 July 2015 at 15:58, Tony Zhang <yifan.zhang@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I am quite new to this project and I have downloaded and looked around in the
repo for some time. We are interested in using parts of rump kernels in our
research OS. Specifially, we'd like to add more drivers to our OS, and running
NetBSD drivers inside rumpkernels seems like a really good way to do this.
From
my limited understanding, this requires that I implement some hypercalls used
by
said drivers. I think I am on the right track but there seems to be more to it
so I would appreciate your thought on this. Is it viable?

Yes that should work fine. Genode has used this method, you might want
to look at that for an example. Implementing the hypercalls should not
be a lot of work.

Justin