Re: Needed for EC2 - ext2 support

  • From: Krishna <v.krishnakumar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:41:15 +0530

On 25 July 2015 at 16:18, Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Can you help us to do that by being explicit about what "batteries
included support" means? What is the problem or problems that you are
running into?

Sorry - perhaps “batteries included” is a Python term :-) - it means (I
think) that software comes pre-configured for the most common use cases and
there’s no need to change configuration to get common use cases to work.
Python stuff tends to aim to be batteries included.

In this case, I used the term to suggest that rumprun could come
configured for ext2 file system support by default and ideally wouldn’t
need configuration file changes to make it work. For EC2 rumprun usage,
ext2 is the easiest file system choice.

I’m suggesting that ext2 might be a practical file system for many use
cases so things would be much easier if there was no need to learn how to
and then configure ext2 in rumprun.

So I guess my start point question is “what needs to be configured to use
ext2 file system”? Ideally the answer is “nothing, it’s all configured by
default and set to go”. Martin Lucina sent this email on 13th of June,
saying that the default configurations don’t include ext2fs and I believe
something needs to be set in rumpbake to enable it?

In summary, what do I need to do to make ext2 work, and can the rumprun
default configuration be changed so nothing needs to be done?

I think ext2 is now linked in by default as I didn't have to do anything
when running the leveldb benchmark (see the example section at [0])

cheers,
--krishna

[0] https://github.com/rumpkernel/rumprun-packages/tree/master/leveldb