Re: Needed for EC2 - ext2 support

  • From: Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>, rumpkernel-users <rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 20:48:54 +1000

Can you help us to do that by being explicit about what "batteries included
support" means? What is the problem or problems that you are running into?

Sorry - perhaps “batteries included” is a Python term :-) - it means (I think)
that software comes pre-configured for the most common use cases and there’s no
need to change configuration to get common use cases to work. Python stuff
tends to aim to be batteries included.

In this case, I used the term to suggest that rumprun could come configured for
ext2 file system support by default and ideally wouldn’t need configuration
file changes to make it work. For EC2 rumprun usage, ext2 is the easiest file
system choice.

I’m suggesting that ext2 might be a practical file system for many use cases so
things would be much easier if there was no need to learn how to and then
configure ext2 in rumprun.

So I guess my start point question is “what needs to be configured to use ext2
file system”? Ideally the answer is “nothing, it’s all configured by default
and set to go”. Martin Lucina sent this email on 13th of June, saying that the
default configurations don’t include ext2fs and I believe something needs to be
set in rumpbake to enable it?

In summary, what do I need to do to make ext2 work, and can the rumprun default
configuration be changed so nothing needs to be done?

thanks!

################ —>

Hi Robert,

On Friday, 12.06.2015 at 10:37, Robert Gifford wrote:
Calling mount from my application however, results in errno 22, or an
invalid argument according to errno.h for NetBSD. Making a unikernel with
the mount_ext2fs application and adding the device and directory in that
program results in the same error.

An invalid argument error leads me to believe that I'm simply passing in
incorrect argument, but I can't spot anything that is off:

mount(MOUNT_EXT2FS, "/mnt", 0, &args, size)

Are you sure that you've linked in ext2fs support? i.e. are you linking
your application with -lrumpfs_ext2fs?

The default unikernel configurations do not include ext2fs either, you'll
want to add it to app-tools/rumpbake.conf.

Martin