Re: Mounting EBS volumes

  • From: Colin Percival <cperciva@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 06:04:17 +0000

Hi Andrew,

On 06/14/15 20:31, Andrew Stuart wrote:

I have a rump kernel booting on EC2 but it’s not mounting the attached EBS
device as I had expected it would.

Did you find any special requirements needed to mount EBS block devices under
FreeBSD? If it’s the same as mounting other Xen block devices and there’s no
magic then I probably have some configuration option set wrong but I thought
I’d quickly check with you to see if you had any insights into mounting EBS.

EBS block devices are Xen block devices, pure and simple. There are some
hacks in Xen to inform guests about the "native" names for devices or,
alternatively, to just have them show up as "xen block device #N", so
it's just possible that your disks are showing up with strange device
names.

But aside from that, attaching a new EBS volume is just like plugging in
a new disk into a physical machine; it gets detected, shows up under /dev,
and then you can partition / format / mount.

--
Colin Percival