Re: Make rumpbake more flexible

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:57:49 +0000

On 27/08/15 10:45, Wei Liu wrote:

Can you elaborate what "Getting of the positional arguments" means?

Currently the syntax is

rumpbake TARGET OUTPUT FILE ...

i.e. all arguments are positional.

We can change to something like

rumpbake -t TARGET -o OUTPUT -c COMPONENT_LIST -f FILE ...

There's no reason to make mandatory arguments non-positional. It's not "cp -f from -t to" either. It also makes using xargs harder than necessary for the last "varargs" parameter.

But I would also like to stabilise the syntax at some point. That's
another topic.

Yes, me too, very much actually, but I believe the overall rumpbake-rumprun chain to be broken for our purposes, so it requires quite a lot of thinking. The good news is that I think we now have the necessary data from varied use cases, so "only" the thinking is required.