Re: Make rumpbake more flexible

  • From: Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:54:19 +0100

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:37:41AM +0000, Antti Kantee wrote:

On 27/08/15 10:13, Wei Liu wrote:
Editing the configuration file works fine for me at the moment because I
build everything including the toolchain.

It's just not nice and might not work all the time -- considering
rumpbake is going to be installed by packaging system and the default
rumpbake.conf buried in some directories that user of the toolchain
doesn't have permission to edit.

If a "power user" has the need to change component configuration, the same
user might have the need to compile own components too, which the user then

True, but then if rumpbake has a way of specifying the absolute path of
that component I don't see how it is required to install those into
system search paths.

cannot install to the component search directory. So for the "system admin
installs toolchain like it's 1995" argument to be valid, you'd need some way
of specifying non-default search paths too. I'm not saying that adding such
a capability is a bad idea, but I'm not fully convinced it's required.

There needs to be a way. I don't have strong opinions which.

Also editing the config file requires users to understand the
implementation of rumpbake. Arguably it's just a simple shell script but
I don't think end user should really know that much about that.

??? rumpbake.conf is just a list of components. I can't see how editing it
requires knowing how the contents will be processed.

That requires understanding of specific syntax of that list.