Re: Make rumpbake more flexible

  • From: Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:13:07 +0100

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:02:13PM +0200, Martin Lucina wrote:

On Thursday, 27.08.2015 at 10:56, Wei Liu wrote:
Hi all

Currently all targets of rumpbake are hardcoded. That means I can't
control what rump components are linked in to the final binary. That's
not very desirable for power users. Being the first one to have such
needs I can certainly foresee other users in the future want to do the
same.

I would like to make rumpbake more flexible. That could be done by
either getting rid of the positional arguments or making it accept user
provided config file.

The syntax of rumpbake being experimental means we can get away with any
breakage at this stage.

Thoughts?

This is one of the questions that came up at my talk at the Xen summit:
"How do you determine which rump components you need to run X?"

My answer was that normal users should not have to care and get the
"kitchen sink" by default. If you want to change the defaults, you can edit
app-tools/rumpbake.conf to your liking.

Is there something in particular that you need which is not covered by
editing the configuration file?

Editing the configuration file works fine for me at the moment because I
build everything including the toolchain.

It's just not nice and might not work all the time -- considering
rumpbake is going to be installed by packaging system and the default
rumpbake.conf buried in some directories that user of the toolchain
doesn't have permission to edit.

Also editing the config file requires users to understand the
implementation of rumpbake. Arguably it's just a simple shell script but
I don't think end user should really know that much about that.

Wei.