Re: Heads up: `rumpbake' introduced, toolchain renaming imminent

  • From: Martin Lucina <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 18:07:39 +0200

On Monday, 01.06.2015 at 17:00, Antti Kantee wrote:

On 29/05/15 13:08, Antti Kantee wrote:
On 28/05/15 16:49, Martin Lucina wrote:
$ rumpbake -T hw_generic -o hello.bin hello
(produces the final unikernel as "hello.bin", targeted for the
"hw_generic"
configuration)

[updating the documentation, which is always useful for finding oddities]

Since -T and -o are mandatory parameters (i.e. unlike with cc they don't
have default values), why are they not simply the first and second
non-option arguments?

No objections heard, so removed the flags. Usage is now always
"rumpbake target output file [file ...]"

Having used the new 'rumpbake' in anger for a week now, I do have a (very
subjective) objection. The new syntax is confusing for me in the same sense
that 'ln' has been confusing for me for the last 20 years, in that I need
to stop and think every time I use it about what the order of the
parameters is.

So, unless you have some specific attachment to "all your options are
optional", I'd much prefer the old syntax.

Martin