Re: Fwd: [MirageOS-devel] Jitsu v0.2.0 with Irmin, Rumprun support

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: magnus@xxxxx, anil@xxxxxxxxxx, rumpkernel-users <rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 23:36:11 +0000

On 17/08/15 21:20, Magnus Skjegstad wrote:

It would perhaps be interesting to build a rump kernel that booted
without disks - I guess the boot time should be very similar to the
MirageOS unikernel at http://www.jitsu.v0.no. With some optimizations in
the network configuration it should be possible to at least get this
down to < 150ms.

Booting/running without disk has always been possible. In fact, that's how I ran my original thttpd demo when I wrote bare metal support because I didn't have the time/need to add disk device support that week. There's just no UI to specify what "non-disk" files you want to see at runtime, so the process is involved -- IIRC I created a FFS image which I compiled/linked as a char[] and mounted using the MFS driver with a handcrafted code snippet during bootstrap.

The last proposal on the diskless UI/framework didn't manage to get to the finish line. Support for that UI is most likely going to happen with a/the toolchain+launcher rototill in the future. However, since it's not a blocking feature, but rather a non-universal optimization, there's no justification for exchanging one convoluted UI for another in a rush.