Re: Fwd: [MirageOS-devel] Jitsu v0.2.0 with Irmin, Rumprun support

  • From: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • To: anil@xxxxxxxxxx, rumpkernel-users <rumpkernel-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 20:11:45 +0000

Begin forwarded message:

From: Magnus Skjegstad <magnus@xxxxx>
Subject: [MirageOS-devel] Jitsu v0.2.0 with Irmin, Rumprun support
Date: 17 August 2015 11:02:27 GMT-7
To: mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have released a new version of Jitsu that adds support for Rumprun
unikernels, uses Irmin for internal state and supports libxl and XAPI.
Full list of changes here:
https://github.com/mirage/jitsu/releases/tag/0.2.0

I've written a blog post with a summary of the features here:
http://www.skjegstad.com/blog/2015/08/17/jitsu-v02/
The more technical details are in the README:
https://github.com/mirage/jitsu/blob/master/README.md

There's also a Jitsu running that hosts http:// www.jitsu.v0.no and
http://www.rump.jitsu.v0.no - hopefully they will stay online for a
while, but I'm also using the server for testing so they may go down
from time to time :)

Sounds cool. I'll just quote the first two sentences of the linked blog post to expand the terminology and give people the motivation to click further if they're interested in this kind of stuff:

=== snip ===
Jitsu - or Just-in-Time Summoning of Unikernels - is a prototype DNS server that can boot virtual machines on demand. When Jitsu receives a DNS query, a virtual machine is booted automatically before the query response is sent back to the client.
=== snip ===

re: jitsi/README.md

Note that rumprun unikernels currently take longer to boot than MirageOS
unikernels. When the disks are mounted as ISO files (as in this example) the
boot time can be more than a second.

The bootstrap time of a rump kernel is in milliseconds (assuming there are only virtualized devices in the configuration; drivers usually spin for a while to wait for non-virtualized devices to "settle"). The Xen infra just takes a long time to spin up to the point where it jumps into rump kernel bootstrap. However, I thought there were some recent improvements on this to make Xen spinup comparable to Mirage?