Re: Formulating a newbies overview of how applications are packaged for use in rump kerrnels

  • From: Andrew Stuart <andrew.stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pooka@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:40:58 +1000

There is no support for shared libraries.

OK so I’m going to need to better understand some basics here. Does this mean
the only sorts of applications suitable for running on a rump kernel are those
that can be statically compiled? Or am I just misunderstanding what libraries
are? I had thought all libraries were “shared libraries”. Is iot correct that
most *nix applications use a bunch of libraries to get their job done?

Is the python34m runtime a shared library? For example are there any sort of
libraries in the case of what you have just done here:

reference: https://github.com/rumpkernel/rumprun-packages-wip/tree/master/python

cython --embed hw.py
rumprun-bmk-cc hw.c -I[...]/pythondist/include/python3.4m
-L[...]/pythondist/lib -lpython3.4m -lutil -lm
rumpbake hw_generic a.bin a.out

To launch, rumprun it:

rumprun kvm -i -b python.iso,/python/lib/python3.4 -b stubetc.iso,/etc -e
PYTHONHOME=/python a.bin