[rule110] Osnabr ück: Mandelbrot Movie at 20:30h thisSunday // Fractals i n Linguistics & Robotics

  • From: "Martin Schneider" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: list@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:46:11 +0100 (CET)

-----------------------------------
Oxbridge Readingclub Meeting Today!
-----------------------------------
Location : Osnabrueck, Germany
Date     : Sunday
Time     : 20:30
-----------------------------------

Dear Friends of Self-organisation

Since there is the Doctorate Programme featuring Luc Steels tomorrow,
We have postponed the Reading Club Movie Meeting until 20:30.

We will show the Video "Fractals - an Animated Discussion" (63 minutes)
starring Benoit Mandelbrot.
If you think Fractals are just colourful retro-math-pictures from the
1980s check out the two cutting-edge papers below!

- Fractal Linguistics

Neuro-fractal composition of meaning: toward a collage theorem for
language (Simon Levy)
http://www.cs.wlu.edu/~levy/pubs/bics2004.pdf

- Fractal Robotics

Adaptive Fractal Gene Reguatory Networks for Robot Control (Peter Bentley)
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/P.Bentley/BEC14.pdf

The movie will be shown inside the Asta-building.
Get in through the Metal Door in the Arcade Alte Münze
(opposite to Cafe Mano Negra)

Anyone may come --
It´s free, it´s frantic, it´s fractal!

Martin

P.S.
At the next meeting (05.12.04) we will discuss the papers mentioned above
Here are some brainteasers to stimulate discussion...

1. What is the relation between Fractals and Grammars?
2. What happens if we apply Bentley´s Fractal Enzymes to Luc Steel´s Fluid
Construction Grammar?