[rsc] Re: Learning Exchange sources - Leadership and Community Change

  • From: Hope Clark <hopeclark@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:42:17 -0400

Thanks Gwylene for pointing us out to these articles.
I am getting a chance to read them and came across in Frank Martin's article something Nayo led

http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/10/ roots_goes_to_s.php "Saturday morning's discussion, led by Nayo Watkins, centered on the question, "Who Has a Right to the Power of Art?" This session included considerations of what may or may not be art, and why. It went on to consider how artists use metaphorical or symbolic language to represent ideas about culture and society, and concluded with dialogue on the responsibilities of artists to communities where their works are presented."

Martin outlines some important conversations, that happened during that 3 day Learning Exchange. One involving Gwylene.

"Further compelling discussion centered on the creation of the "Shoreview Apartments" project in "Evoking History," in which Gwylène Gallimard sought to support the residents of the dismantled Shore View low-income housing project in giving voice to their experience of displacement. As part of the project, Gallimard brought the plight of the displaced residents to the attention of the owner-developer who was the source of their imminent removal. This interaction produced some mildly positive results and at least included various levels of participants within the conversation on community development.

Gwylene,
I'd love to hear more about what that art part of this project was. For instance, how you gave voice to the resident's experience of displacement.

more evoking thoughts - by Mary Jane Jacob
http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/10/ practicing_in_p.php "Then I began to understand how, as a curator, I could create an "empty" space, a space of potentiality, so that something new could eventually come to fill it: a space for artists to create, for viewers to experience. This empty space is the working space of artists driven by questions that go to the heart of why they need to make art, and for whom artmaking is a process of clarifying questions (not finding answers) because, for them, this critical questioning is a way of art, a way of life and a way of thinking."

This is another great quote:
http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/10/ afterwords_a_co.php "What does it mean for social change? What does it mean for to- morrow? This piece of art ("Latitude 32° - Navigating Home") created a sense of community, even temporarily; it really pulled people together… What I see in the city, there is a lot of mobilization going on here, there is no organizing going on in this town that I can find… Organizing is long term. We investigate, evaluate, negotiate and implement." —Nayo Watkins

Phenomenal conversations.

best wishes,
Hope

On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Gwylene Gallimard and Jean-Marie Mauclet wrote:

http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/10/ making_artmakin_1.php

This is the link for the full report of ROOTS RSC workshop "Making Art, Making Home", linking to articles by Roots members Nayo Watkins, Neil Bogan and myself as well as the dialogues which came out of it on line in the next six months. Those dialogues lead to "switching Roles, Jumping Fences" which was reviewed in Up from the ROOTS in 2004. I think the ROOTS website should link the RSC page to all those articles and everything publication mentioned before.

And just published on the Community Arts Website this month is an article by the former Rooter Darryl Wellington, comparing the "Latitude 32° – Navigating Home," a public art performance/ installation created by artists Suzanne Lacy and Rick Lowe, which was concurrent with "Making Art/Making Home", and "The Future is on the Table" which culminated this summer and fall in Charleston. http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2009/03/ exchanging_gift.php

Thanks. Gwylene

On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Hope Clark wrote:

Nayo Watkins: Creating Art, Transforming Lives, One Community at a Time
By Andrea Hamilton
http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/04/ nayo_watkins_cr.php

Making Community: Voices from the dialogues
By Gwylene Gallimard
http://www.communityarts.net/readingroom/archivefiles/2003/10/ making_communit.php

The Mississippi Young Person's Cultural Exchange Program by Nayo Watkins
Description of the Project

<Mississippi YPCEP full project report.pdf>

On Mar 31, 2009, at 5:41 PM, Sheila Kerrigan wrote:

Dear Hope,

Spelling: Augusto Boal and Paolo Freire

Sorry for tooting my own horn: You may want to look at my book, The Performer’s Guide to the Collaborative Process, for sources for some of the work we do.

Story Circles also come from John O’Neal; He has written a piece about them. http://www.racematters.org/storycircleprocess.htm

Liz Lerman’s Critical Response Process is a part of ROOTS, although RSC may not use it all the time.
http://www.danceexchange.org/performance/criticalresponse.html

I would look at some of Nayo Watkins’ writing on RSC work and other work she did, including the Alternate ROOTS Resources for Social Change Handbook.

Also, Bob Leonard’s Building Arts and Community Partnerships Work Kit.

Best,
Sheila Kerrigan
kerrigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2310 Stansbury Rd
Chapel Hill NC 27516
919-929-1624
Check out my book, The Performer's Guide to the Collaborative Process:
www.collaborativecreativity.com
www.heinemanndrama.com/products/E00311.aspx