[rollei_list] Re: yellow cast on Rollei CR-200 slide film

  • From: Bigler Emmanuel <bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:16:31 +0100

Le 22/03/2013 12:06, John Wild a écrit :

Without stealing his thunder, Emmanuel Bigler has said that CR-200,
now marketed by Maco, has its origins is a colour slide film
designed for aerial use - Agfa Aviphot. The yellow cast is required
to compensate for UV at high altitude. Emmanuel says that he uses a
Wratten 82A to compensate but thinks a 82B may do a better job when
used at ground level. John

Thunder, taking of course into account that thunder light colour
balance can be something like 8,500 K ;-)
http://www.hid-lights.com/products/halogen-bulb/8500k/GP-2009/GP85.htm

And yes John, this is what I thought, a "normal" built-in yellow
filter for a very special purpose, and this is also Richard Knoppow's
idea.
Unfortunately the tech-doc pointed by Maco to Agfa Aviphot Chrome
specifies : "colour balance 5500K."
But may be in Belgium, located quite far North of the 45-th parallel
(Montreal and Bordeaux, share the same latitude or 45°N, but with a
VERY different climate), Belgian Kelvins might not exacly be the same
Kelvins I'm experiencing in daylight in Franche-Comté ;-)

So I do not know what happens, it can be the wrong documentation, or
another kind of film designed for higher altitudes or any other
reason.

Now that I have noticed, is that all my stock CR-200 films both in 135
and 120 exposed and processed so far, exhibit the same colour cast,
and since I have (more or less) found a correcting filter 82A or 82B,
I'll quietly finish those few rolls with the blueish filter in place.

--

Emmanuel