[rollei_list] Re: yellow cast on Rollei CR-200 slide film

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:21:09 -0500

At 11:47 AM 3/21/2013, you wrote:
I apologize for not having stated it more clearly. At the start of a roll of film there is a test bit which consists of colors. The machine analyzes this and then tries to produce a chemical mix to produce a proper slide. This works on standard films -- Kodak and Fuji were built into the machines. Some outre films might not have been properly calibrated. I've only done Kodak and Agfa E-6 in my own darkroom, so I cannot speak much to other emulsions. I always found Agfa to have superior color renditions, certainly better than Fuji or Kodak. Piss-pour marketing killed off Agfa and Kodak, of course, not a poor product. BRING BACK KODACHROME! <he grins>

Marc

Two comments or questions-

When I lived in The Netherlands in 1963 I used both Ektachrome and Agfacolor 64. Without a doubt the Agfa product provided better color, perhaps because it was designed for more overcast conditions. The other advantage of Agfa is that I could drop a roll of 120 in a mail drop in the middle of the day and get a developed roll, not mounted, in my home mailbox the next day. I believe the film was processed in Germany although I actually mailed it to an address in The Netherlands. Also, these many years later, the Agfa product has held up far better then Kodak.

Now the question- there has been mention of "color test stripes" on the film. Were those done chemically or by exposure?

DAW