[rollei_list] Re: xenotar 2.8f (the family)

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 00:55:01 -0400

At 08:48 PM 5/13/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>  Do you have any details of the U.S. Goerz operation, was
>this originally owned by Goerz in Germany? Who wound up with
>it after WW-1?
>  Also, Zeiss continued to make and sell Dagors and Wide
>Angle Dagors as well as the Frontar. They may have made
>others but I've never seen any mention of them. Zeiss-Goerz
>Dagors are not too uncommon.

Goerz in Long Island was originally a subsidiary of CP Goerz in Berlin.  It
is my undrestanding that it passed out of German control when it was
nationalized in 1917.

The Goerz rights in Germany passed to Zeiss under the 1926 merger, and,
yes, they did produce Dagors for many a year.  The significant point,
though, is that a CP Goerz lens produced in, say, 1947 would be thirty
years away from a common heritage with a Zeiss lens of that time.  To my
knowledge, these companies were entirely independent after 1917, unlike the
situation with Bausch & Lomb who remained in close contact with Zeiss both
between the Wars and after the end of the Second World War.

As always, I hunger for further knowledge!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!