[rollei_list] Re: why I'm not digital -( just for interest)

  • From: Esa Santonen <esasantonen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:02:34 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Sirs,

I am a Finnish recording and mastering engineer and I
do take photos as a hobbyist. I work a lot with the
Photoshop of sound, the ProTools. It is interesting to
follow your discussion concerning the digital versus
analog way of producing photos. I have been recording
music with digital equipment for several years and I
have followed how in the first hand "perfect
technology" have changed to become so everyday stuff
that more and more digital gizmos appear to
imitate/modell the character of analog equipment.

Professional sound mastering and mixing is today a
very much both analog and digital prosess. We take
digital recording and prosess it with analog methods
and vise versa and very often with analog equipment
too. The greatist concerns (amongst professionals) are
coming to working prosess itself. When prosessing
sound it starts to sound harsh when you heavily
prosess it with the digital equipment. There is not
enough numbers. Also sometimes you "hear" a whole lot
better without the desktop screen in front of your
eyes. With analog mixer you work with hands like in
the darkroom.

Esa Santonen
DER digital editing room Oy