[rollei_list] Re: was Rollei Retro Film now is Rodinal pin holes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:44:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Purdy" <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 6:50 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: was Rollei Retro Film now is
Rodinal pin holes

> Richard, or anyone,  do you know what exactly is the cause
> of pin holes
> in film?  I have tried to research it and find a lot of
> recommendations
> to avoid stop bath and then I read opinions that stop bath
> don't really
> do it.  I have just processed some ACROS in Rodinal 1:50
> and it is
> beautiful but has lots of tiny pin holes.  I use this film
> a lot and
> have never encountered pin holes before, processing in
> XTOL or Beutlers
> or R09.  Are pin holes somehow created in development?
> thanks if you know and even if you don't
> Dennis

    Real pin holes are very rare. They are actual physical
disruptions in the emulsion caused by gas formation. First
of all mot films are hardened to the point where such
disruptions would require very extreme conditions to form,
if at all. Secondly, few film developers contain carbonates
these days and its the effervescense of carbonate that
caused the problem in the old days. Rodinal contains
hydroxide which I don't think causes outgassing.
    It is possible for apparent pin holes, that is clear
spots, to form because of dirt on the film during
development or because of small bubbles of air stuck to the
surface. The last do not usually show up as pin holes but as
"air bells" small clear areas with a dark surrounding.
Jarring the film tank on the bench a couple of times after
filling it usually knocks off any bubbles but they can
survive normal agitation if not knocked off.
    Pin holes can be the result of a coating problem. This
happened to T-max films a couple of times and Ilford has had
the problem but I have not heard of anything recently and
its pretty rare.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA