[rollei_list] Re: was NASA & Rollei

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 05:48:29 +0000

I take my 18 year old Merc to a place like that but they are far and few between. I use him because the local MB dealer lacks knowledge of the older models...

FD

On 30 Oct, 2009, at 18:57, Don Williams wrote:

At 01:39 PM 10/30/2009, you wrote:
You are lucky. Probably from being closer to the source. ;-)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Frank Dernie < Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Mercedes service is relatively reasonably priced here in the UK.
FD

On 29 Oct, 2009, at 20:52, Peter K. wrote:

Yes, we have a joke out here about MB and BMWs. When you drop off your MB for service, just to shake the mechanic's hand is a $100 charge. I almost bought a Volvo until I saw what the cost of maintenance was. It was on par with MB. Hence, no Volvo.

We go to an independent shop here in Oklahoma, and also did so in California. When my wife first took her car back to the dealer, they put on over $300 worth of windshield wipers, saying they needed them. She was crying when I drove over to sort out the issue.

When I took my car to the dealer I couldn't even talk to the mechanic, it all had to go through some sort of service manager. I finally made friends with the service manager and got to explain things to the guys doing the work, but even when you know exactly what the problem is, MB requires the mechanic to go step-by-step through a series of tests before they get to where they should have gone in the first place.

After switching to an independent shop in California, I could even go under the cars to photograph interesting things. They built a couple of engines for a Russian group for the Dakkar Ralley, I have pictures of the cars. Don't know how they came out. I do know that the second race was cancelled for security reasons.

Here in Oklahoma the shop is ran by a long-haired chap who tries to save the client money. I thought I had an oil pressure problem. He said, "Let me try a new sensor first", and it actually was the sensor.

DAW

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬