[rollei_list] Re: [was : Astia] now : use of colour slides

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:41:46 -0300

Robert:
            I used Rodinal 1+25 at 20ºC, 8' like for the Agfa APX 100,
the Scala processed as slide film reached ISO 200 during the special
process.
Despite Agfa Scala is based on the APX 100, contrast was different, I
obtained denser negs than the APX 100 negs, several of them difficult
to scan with my former bad scanner, I obtained a decent scanning with
the Epson 4490.

I uploaded several samples, this one was published in the Rollei
Magazine edited by John Wild:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/440952355/

This is a good sample about the contrast:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/440952347/

And this is a scanned sample about the Scala processed like slide film
by the authorized Agfa lab:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/556533561/

Carlos

2011/1/11 Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>:
> [...]
>> the projector (several of them) and you needed to open the projector,
>> etc.,etc.I finally disassembled the mounted slides to use plastic
>> frames, it was a double work. I started to buy Agfa and Fuji slide
>> film, these films already came for E-6 process only (or Agfa or Fuji
>> equivalents), I mounted and mount the slides using the frames I want
>> to use. BTW, after E-6 became an universal process you could develop
>> Kodak slide films at any E-6 lab, but I got habit of Fuji and Agfa
>> slide films use.
>>
>> Except for Kodak slide films, I used and tried almost any slide film
>> appeared during  the last 20 years, including 120 Agfa Scala B&W slide
>> film, I have two Scala rolls, 24 frames, processed with the dedicated
>> Agfa Scala B&W process, the lab did excellent digital prints from them
>> too; when I project these B&W slides I recall the B&W movies time,
>> very nice blacks and grays show the Scala slides. I also processed
>> Scala rolls like B&W negative and several samples are at my Flickr
>> gallery.
>> I found Agfa RSXII ISO 50 and 100 and Fuji Provia 100 are very well
>> balanced slide films for most purposes, I also like Velvia for
>> landscapes vivid colors and Astia for portraits and certain landscapes
>> and cityscapes, but this year I think to try Kodak slide films.
>>
>> Carlos
>>

>> 2011/1/10 Allan Derickson <alland435@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> I'm happy that the discussion of color slide film opened up. In many ways
>>> slide film is the ultimate test of the photographer's skill, particularly
>>> if
>>> the end result is to be projected rather than printed. With projected
>>> media
>>> all adjustments and manipulations have to be done in the camera at the
>>> moment of exposure. Additionally slide film typically has the narrowest
>>> exposure latitude of all films. The only real way to manage contrast is
>>> through choice of emulsion. Color temperature must be controlled with
>>> filtration. Finally, most slides are not cropped so the photographer must
>>> give full attention to composition in the viewfinder.
>>>
>>> I've often thought that beginning photography students should be made to
>>> shoot slides for projection until they really understand all these
>>> things.
>>>
>>> I like Astia for people shots, Provia 100F for sunny days, and Velvia 100
>>> for cloudy days. Velvia 100 (not 100F) is becoming difficult to find. I
>>> have
>>> about two years of these films in my refrigerator at my current rate of
>>> shooting. That's all the further I'm willing to look ahead.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, one of the best excuses for having lots of cameras is to
>>> always have one loaded with the appropriate film. Last fall I flew to New
>>> Mexico and took my Rolleiflex 3.5F with 0.7 and 1.5 Mutars plus several
>>> rolls of Velvia and Provia to be ready for any contingency. I took my
>>> 35S loaded with Astia for people shots. The weather was changing from