[rollei_list] Re: was : Agfa Scala, now : home-made B&W slides in 120 revisited

  • From: bigler@xxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:12:10 +0200 (CEST)

From Eric G. :

> > This will be helpful to your Richard:
> >
> > http://www.dr5.com/faqprint.html

From Richar K. :

> >...Reversal processing is not difficult...Fogging redevelopers
> like Sodium sulfide or conventional developers with the
> addition of a fogging agent eliminate the need for the
> fixing step.
>    Reversal processing was very common for 8mm and 16mm home
> movies. Both the materials and processes were brought to a
> high degree of perfection but whatever there is in the
> technical literature seems to be rather obscure.

Many thanks to Richard for this tutorial that explains several issues
and problems that you'll encounter when doing you own B&W slides at
home.

Doing B&W slides in 120 rolls or large format has been discussed
recently on the French medium & large format forum galerie-photo.info.
I have a few rolls of B&W slides made with my Rolleiflex T in the late
seventies with  the defunct Tetenal B&W Reversal kit.

A French friend of mine, Claude Eichel, has re-started from the
literature and has extensively practised with nothing less than 100
rolls of various B&W 120 film brands. Including some 120 rolls of Agfa
Scala® developed at home ; he could compare side by side the superb
Agfa Scala® with other films.. including Scala-lab processed slides
and home-reverse-processed APX100. His results are summarised in an
excellent article on the APUG :

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=134

Of course you may prefer the original version in French ;-);-)
http://www.galerie-photo.com/inversion-film-noir-blanc.html

Claude is now doing experiments with large format film and I already
have seen some of his results in 8"x10"... so this will be for the
next article.

Strangely enough, for people who like to make a conventional slide
projection, there is a missing family of projectors between the 6x9cm
and 4x5" format. To project a 8"x10" B&W slide, a regular overhead
projector is OK provided that you choose one with a good lens.

Linhof and Leica actually had 6x9 - 9x12-4x5" slide projectors on
catalog in the past, probably until the seventies ; nowadays beyond
the two 6x7 projectors made by Götsschmann and Mamiya and still
available but not cheap (I'm mostly speaking about the Göttschmann :
Outch !!) , there is nothing left except overhead transparency
projectors.

Back to the Rollei I have recently done some Scala in my Rolleiflex T
and I'm pleased with the results ; I did some family portraits in the
outdoors on a clear day with slightly overcast sky. The slides I
obtained will probably survive me, so if you care for your family
album, even if you are an addict of Kodachrome like me (but in 35MM
only as of 2005) from time to time, do one of two rolls of family
pictures with B&W slides. Even if the whole silver-halide process &
related chemicals would disappear and prevent any future direct
optical print of your negatives, even if future scanners proved unable
to scan a vintage B&W neg for some unknown softare-related reason
;-);-);-) at least your grand-grand-children, with their naked eye or
with a loupe will be able to look at your B&W slides ;-);-)

--
Emmanuel BIGLER
<bigler@xxxxxxxx>