[rollei_list] Re: unsuscribe and the Kalart Focuspot for Rollei

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:20:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: <Choiliefan@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 7:27 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: unsuscribe and the Kalart Focuspot for Rollei

DAW,
Perhaps you harken back on the Kalart Focuspot? An example for Rollei
Automats sold on ebay a week or so ago:
_http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170223973112_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170223973112)
Very interesting item.
Late Pacemaker Graflex cameras came with something similar and some form could be added to older side mounted rangefinder models getting power from the
batteries in the flash handle.
I have a Rolleimeter on a 2.8C and fast focusing is a breeze. Incredibly useful accessory which should have been carried on to the removable finder
model Rolleis.
Health, Peace
Lance
Selma, NC 27576
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 6/9/2008 9:26:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dwilli10@xxxxxxx writes:

As for me, referring back to the recent posts on the Rolleimeter, and this is probably ploughing old ground, who made that night focusing device for the Rollei's in the 1950's. The one the photographer used to take to school dances and aimed and focused with a pair of light beams that converged on the
subject?

In incredibly clever idea.

DAW

Kalart made a rangefinder to fit Rolleis and some other TLRs. It mounted on the bottom of the camera using the tripod mount socket and was coupled by an arm resting on the lensboard. This device had a Focuspot lamp built-in with room for the battery in the case. The Focusspot could be used on Kalart models from about the mid-1940s, I would have to look at the old advertising to see when it was first made. Rangefinders designed for it had a removable flap on the top and the Focuspot was attached with a bayonette arrangement on the lamp end. I have one on a Speed Graphic. It works just fine. For press work one could get the spots on whatever it was you wanted to photgraph, make them coincident with the focus knob and shoot. The usual lens on the Graphic was sort of wide angle so the subject would be in the frame. There is a ring next to the eyepiece that acts as a switch for the lamp. Later Graphics, with top rangefinders, have a focusing light built in. I have no idea who actually built these. Hugo Meyer offered a similar arrangement for its rangefinders. I've never seen a Graphic with a Meyer RF on it, perhaps because they could not be adapted to different focal length lenses. The Kalart is surprizingly accurate but must be set up right. This can be tedious. Some time ago I wrote a prodedure for adjusting them which is posted on the Graflex.org site. I have to re-write it because I think its not too clear about some things.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx