[rollei_list] Re: sheet film back is available form Ilford

  • From: "John Wild" <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:30:25 -0000

Instructions are available in 'Rolleiflex/Rolleicord Practical Accessories'
pamphlets and also in Mannheim's Rollei Way, Rollei SL66 & SLX Way and also
Pearlman's Rollei Manual. I have copies of all and can scan them if you have
difficulty in acquiring copies (contact me directly if you would like more
details).

I also have two backs and experimented last night (?)... One is an early back
with the 'flipover' catch and has the red film window in the base and black
felt light trapping. The later model has the round quick attachment base with
the rotating lock and red light trapping. The early model does not fit the
later cameras ('Cord Vb and 3.5F as tried) The main difference is the the
attachment pins are in a slightly different place (about 1mm) and the width at
this point is about 1mm wider (there is a chrome spacer). I think that the
attachment dimensions must have been reduced slightly in the later version to
allow for a slight 'overhang' of the viewfinder hood (possibly a larger viewing
mirror inside the camera?) of the later camera models. Under casual inspection
they are almost identical and I could not really see why one fitted and the
other didn't. On closer examination it revealed minor dimensional changes. I
expect that with judicious modification at this point, the early version could
be made to fit the later cameras.

The slides and ground glass screens are the same and also fit the SL66 version.

With reference to cutting down larger film sizes, Hasselblad (sorry to swear!)
produce(d) a film cutter part 41092. Basically a pair of scissors with a small
shelf and holding flap whereby the film could be held firmly and cut. This may
have been intended for cutting 120 rollfilm into separate sheets but I assume
it could also be used for cutting larger sheets down to size. I did see one at
a camera fair and thought 'that's clever' but I did not buy it. :-(

Best wishes

John Wild